Sunday 29 June 2008

What Dominic Has Done So Far . . .

Before I could start any research, I had to be sure about who I wanted my autuer to be based on. This is what I found extremely hard, due to the fact I could'nt talk about Quentin Tarantino (Ms Ward Cough Cough lol).

Then I began searching through my films at home to familiarise myself with the likes of an auteur. As I begun, I immediately wanted to choose Kevin Smith because of the way he synchronises social settings with comedy and politics within his films such as ‘Dogma’ and ‘Clerks.’ Once again this was tarnished because a pupil had studied him already and I wanted to bring a bit of individuality to the table. After my Kevin Smith dreams were destroyed I realised I wanted to study a director that was very similar to him. The director who I thought was similar to Smith I also thought directed each of these films, known as, ‘Superbad’, ‘Knocked Up’ and ‘The 40 Year Old Virgin.’ Then I found out from my friend Joshua that they are not made by the same directors and even if I wanted to study Gregg Motola who directed ‘Superbad,’ I couldn’t anyway simply because he hasn’t made many films, so I would not of had many materials to look at.

Then it hit me . . .

I realised that I wanted to talk about ‘Pulp Fiction’ in some way, shape, or form and that’s when Samuel L Jackson came to mind. I have seen many of his films which also lead me to choose him. I have always enjoyed watching them and have loved every character that I have seen him play; from the way he projects his voice, to the power of his presence on the set.

From finally finding my auteur, it was time to put my research and own knowledge into action about his characteristics that are echoed in each of his films. So to begin with I researched into ‘Pulp Fiction’ and his character within the narrative. I found this most interesting because I have never looked at ‘Pulp Fiction’ beneath the surface before this project and it made me understand the use of his monologues in all of his films. They generally signify strength, his intelligence, things he may have learnt and emphasis on the narrative as a whole.

This is where I am up to for the time being but I will be moving on to my next film obviously starring Samuel L Jackson, which is called, ‘The Negotiator.’

1 comment:

K Ward said...

Have you got your 3 films sorted yet?