Thursday 26 June 2008

The Significance Of Samuel L Jackson's Monologue Within 'Pulp Fiction.'



Samuel L Jackson's use of the monologue is very significant due to the fact it generalises the purpose of his character and his actions within the narrative. The use of his infamous bible passage at the beginning of the film when he kills his target, reiterates the power of his words which is stressed throughout his career and him as a person.

These are the exact words that Samuel quotes down below. . .

Ezekiel 25:17. 'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyrannies of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brothers' keeper and finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.'


The use of his monologue is juxtaposed  at the climax of the narrative compared to the introduction as he has power over deviant within society (a robber and his wife). As you can see, when he quotes the bible passage, he uses this to teach a lesson, instead of taking a life which in turn displays his learning process throughout the film. He believes his survival during the assassination was a miracle which is his motive for the bible passage.

Below is the second time he says his monologue but with a different motive. . .

Ezekiel 25:17. 'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyrannies of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepards the weak through the valley of darkness. For he is truly his brothers' keeper and finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.' Now I've been saying that s*** for years, and if you've ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant, I just thought it was a cold blooded thing to say to a mother f***er before I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some s*** this morning that made me think twice. Now I'm thinking it could mean you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here is the shepherd, protecting my righteous ass. Or maybe it means that you're the righteous man, and I'm the shepherd, and it's the world that's evil and selfish. Now I'd like that, but you see that s*** ain't the truth. The truth is, YOU'RE the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

My research on understanding the use of Samuel's monologues really helped me to generate an understanding of why i believe he is an autuer. His projection, pressence and power of knowledge truley expresses his character within any film.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a misquote from the bible? Does the actual quote exist in the form he uses?

DW

K Ward said...

Why does he feel the need to use biblical references? What does this do for the character in the eyes of the audience?

Andrew said...

"Why does he feel the need to use biblical references?"

I think you got your answer above ... "it's a cold blooded thing to say".

Also the words of the bible have an inherent power and authority which has given them importance throughout time.

And YES he misquotes the verse.