Sunday 22 June 2008

Brief Textual Analysis On Samuel L Jackson's Character Within 'Pulp Fiction'




I have begun my research by starting off with Samuel L Jackson’s main characteristics that I feel have been generalised through many of his films. ‘Pulp Fiction’ directed by Quentin Tarantino released on 21 October 1994 in my opinion is the central existence of how great of an actor Samuel is. He stars as a hit man called Jules Winnifield alongside Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and his character goes through different contrasts juxtaposing a realistic portrayal of himself to a hit man.







The introduction to his character as John and himself go to assassinate someone they are not too sure about, illustrates general conversation between two men discussing issues such as the classification of hash in Amsterdam, the values of someone else’s wife to another and the lengths both men will go to to attain power among their position. Samuel uses his strong opinions and exquisite voice to express to the audience the comparisons within his character. This is clearly noticed when he says to John ‘come on lets get into character’ just before they go into the apartment due to the fact they are about to kill someone which is a contrast towards the subject they were talking about. Due to his conversational style with John, this allows the audience to feel as if they are eavesdropping into a conversation instead of watching a planned role conversation, which I feel is a great quality to have. The introduction to his character also expresses his power through his words rather than his physical form which can be generalised through his other films. Another important characteristic I noticed about Samuel is his interpretation of African American culture within the time in which the film was set, portrayed through his dialect and attire.

This is a short look at Samuel’s character within ‘Pulp Fiction’ as I wanted to express my views upon what I notice about him but with further research and knowledge on him as a person and as an actor I can go into further detail. I tried to get the video from Youtube so I can show the contrast but I failed greatly. . . .maybe next time.


No comments: